Things To Do This Weekend – TGIF Series
Can you believe there’s only three weekends left before Christmas? Even if you don’t celebrate Christmas, you are probably still pretty crazed with all the running around in the hopes of wrapping things up before year end. If you have some downtime this weekend, there are lots of things going on around the NY/NJ area that should be fun to check out.
- Festival of Trees – The collection of various trees and wreaths will be exhibited at the Red Mill Museum Village in Clinton, NJ. There is a silent auction to help fundraise for the museum.
- Dickens Village in Maplewood – On Saturday, December 7th, Santa arrives and children (and adults) can visit with him. There will be story readings, viewing of the Dickens Village Houses and the town’s tree lighting. All this excitement packed in one day!
- Santa at Van Vleck Gardens – On Friday, December 6th and Saturday, December 7th, children will get a chance to take photos with Santa and do holiday-related arts and crafts at this old estate in Montclair, NJ.
- Gingerbread Lane at New York Hall of Science – Visitors can marvel at a 1.5 ton, 300-square-foot village made entirely of edible gingerbread, royal icing and candy. Gingerbread Lane is a contender for the Guinness World Record for the largest gingerbread exhibit. Gingerbread house workshops are also offered during the visit.
- Free printable gift tags and thank you cards – If you are wrapping presents this weekend, check out this site for cute and fun labels and cards.
- Edward Hopper’s House in Nyack – There are currently two exhibits at the artist’s old house, one of which is Hopper’s caricature drawings of his wife and his marriage. The other exhibit by Tony Oursler re-imagines Hooper’s complicated 43-year marriage and has snippets of Oursler’s own childhood in Nyack.
- Holiday House in NYC – Sponsored by Traditional Home magazine, this event showcases top designers’ holiday-inspired rooms. Be ready to be enchanted and inspired. Proceeds to this events go to Breast Cancer Research.
- Essex County Holiday House Tours – The self-guided holiday house tours will take place on December 7th-8th and include 17 Essex County historic sites in New Jersey. Perhaps a visit to one of these homes will provide holiday decor inspiration or simply just get you in holiday state of mind.
Have a great weekend, everyone!