TGIF Series – Things To Do This Weekend
Well, we are supposed to get some snow this weekend in the East Coast. It’s not certain yet as the Weather Channel tells us the likelihood is only 50%. But we won’t let Mother Nature dampen our spirits this weekend, will we? There are plenty of stuff going on around town if only we can motivate ourselves to go out…
- The Sea Washed It Away – A new video on the aftermath of Typhoon Haiyan made by Stephanie Valera and an interview of her by the Asia Society. It is heartbreaking and just a reminder of this horrible devastation that touched the Philippines a few months ago.
- Dealing with House Envy – I love interiors and decorating but it often leaves me wishing for what I don’t have. This article is great for those of us who sometimes pine for a place other than the one we currently live in.
- Family Destinations to Think About – For those who are already planning this year’s vacation, this is a wonderful article that will give you ideas on destinations you may not have considered.
- Open Shoot Archery – On Saturday, January 18, from 10am-1pm, come to Thompson Park Activity Barn and try archery. The park is located in 805 Newman Springs Road Lincroft, NJ. Phone number is 732-842-4000 ext 4240. This activity os for kids 8 and up.
- New Year, New You Expo – At the Morristown Armory on Saturday, January 18, from 10:30am-5pm. The Armory is on 430 Western Ave. Morristown, NJ. Plenty of vendors will be on-hand to help you reach your New Year’s resolutions and goals. Admission is $5.
- Family Lego Day – On Saturday, January 18, from 10am-4pm at the Glen Ridge Public Library, 240 Ridgewood Avenue Glen Ridge, NJ. Be creative and come prepared to build something with the library’s extensive Lego collection.
- Newark Museum – Try the museum’s many hands-on activities that will satisfy curious minds for a few hours on a cold weekend afternoon. The museum is located on 49 Washington Street Newark, NJ. Many of the programs are on Saturday from 1-4pm but there are a couple of events taking place on Sunday as well.
- ElectriCity: Powering NYC Rails – Find out how the whole subway system is powered and learn more about its complex circuitry at this exhibit. There are also lots of hands-on activities like capturing light with a solar panel and creating sparks that fly up a Jacob’s ladder. The museum is at Boerum Place and Schermehorn Street in Downtown Brooklyn.
- Ice Festival at Central Park – By Bethesda Fountain. Come see artists carve various ice sculptures of Central Park landmarks such as the Belvedere Castle. Warm up with some hot beverages from the nearby Van Leeuwen truck.
- T.J. Wilcox: In The Air – Panoramic film installation that fills most of the 2nd floor of the Whitney Museum. Images were shot from the artist’s studio, which had 360-degree views of Manhattan in Union Square.
Have a great weekend! See you on Monday!